Founder of RMP & Associates
Leisure Facilities Planning & Management Consultant
Time in the Industry30 years
Time with company25 years
QualificationsMaster of Education (Leisure)
Bachelor of Physical Education
Graduate Venue Management Association
Denis Pontin brings a background in business development, project management, fitness, aquatic design and management to your project. He has worked extensively throughout Australia as a consultant to local government, undertaking community consultation, feasibility studies and market research. Denis is highly respected in the industry for his asset management and business planning skills. These have been applied to projects that include aquatic, indoor sport, community recreation centres and health club developments for councils, clubs and the private sector. He is also involved in project management as Chair of Property and Development for a large private school. Denis Pontin is providing advice to the Brisbane City Council and has developed a successful Private/Public Partnership approach to community and leisure facilities for Brisbane. He has recently developed a Master Plan for Singleton Gym and Swim, developed contracts for the management of Hurstville Leisure Centre, Golf Course and Tennis and is currently involved in a feasibility and project development study for City Joondalup’s new basketball stadium.
Denis has written many articles in leisure and recreation journals. Based on his practical knowledge of how facilities and contracts operate from feasibility, to design, construction and management he was contracted by the SDB (Sports Development Board) in Hong Kong to develop a proposal to upgrade the Institute of Sport at Sha Tin. He is currently retained by ACT Government to review key aspects of the D&C Tender to build the Gungahlin Aquatic and Leisure Centre. He is also developing a new multi-million dollar Health Club, indoor pool complex and supporting infrastructure for a major Sydney Leagues Club.
Project experience in a similar role includes the following:
- Leisure Planning Consultant, 2006-2012, Brisbane City Council – numerous projects including review of City Hall, development of 3 community aquatic and leisure facilities, strategic asset planning and operational reviews
- Development of successful Health Clubs for Campbelltown Catholic Club, Revesby Workers Club, diggers@the entrance Club, East’s Leagues Club,
- Aquatics Management Consultant, 1999-2000 and 2006-2007, City of Sydney – aquatic facilities including Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre contract negotiations.
- Project Consultant, DOTARS to review management and fit-out and operational budgets for Community Recreation, Sports and Fitness Centre at Christmas Island
- Leisure Planning Consultant, 1998-2009, Leichhardt Council Aquatic and Fitness Centre management and planning.
- Review of the feasibility and operation of the Belconnen International Sports and Aquatic Centre for ACT Government (2005) Gungahlin Aquatic Centre (2012)
BENEFITS DENIS BRINGS TO THE PROJECT
- Extensive experience in development of innovative aquatic and leisure facilities for governments throughout Australia
- profitable Health Clubs in local government aquatic centres and clubs
- Feasibility, business planning and community consultation to deliver successful indoor sports, aquatic and community facilities.
- Detailed knowledge of the design, development and management of Aquatic, Fitness and Indoor Sports Centres,
- Extensive contract management experience.
- Extensive design development and project management experience.
- Acknowledged expert in aquatic design and operation, fitness centre design and leisure management and planning.
Denis’ primary role is to assist the architect to develop assets that can be sustainably built and managed, identify “value-added” facilities and services, work with and deliver outcomes identified by the client.
Denis can provide an informed review of the design, construction and operation of leisure centres, fitness centres, swimming pools, indoor sports, outdoor sporting facilities and supporting operations such as child minding. He is experienced in Master Planning and Project Management. He will achieve optimal outcomes for clients taking into account the service and commercial potential of the developments. Denis provides an operator’s perspective and can add value to the ‘core facilities’ if that is an option the client wishes to pursue. Denis will provide reports on how facility provision is best operated and delivered to fine tune design solutions, construction and fit-out.
Key roles and responsibilities may include:
- Design development.
- Input into FF+E
- Ongoing consultation with stakeholders.
- Business planning and modelling for fitness, aquatic and supporting facilities.